Introduction to the K-1 Fiance Visa

A fiance visa allows a U.S. citizen to sponsor a loved one from a foreign country to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married.  It is the most commonly used method used by international couples to meet and marry within the United States.

This visa allows a foreign fiance to enter the U.S. and marry the U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days after entry into the United States.

Should the couple have a change of heart and decide to not get married at that point, the foreign national must then leave the country within this time period or be faced with a removal hearing.

It usually takes at least five to seven months (sometimes much longer) to get a fiance visa issued depending upon the state of residence  of the U.S. citizen as well as the country of the foreign fiance in question.